If your Office, Shop or Warehouse was empty before the COVID-19 pandemic and has an RV over £51,000 you are still likely to be liable for Business Rates. Our scheme can help reduce the amount you pay by up to 70% for the next 3 years.
You do not have to pay business rates on your empty buildings for the initial 3 months, but given the current climate, properties are likely to be empty for a lot longer. If you don’t take some positive action, after this time, in most circumstances you will pay full business rates.
There are some properties that can get extended empty property relief for example:
- industrial premises (for example warehouses) are exempt for a further 3 months
- listed buildings – until they’re reoccupied
- buildings with a rateable value under £2,900 – until they’re reoccupied
- properties owned by charities – only if the property’s next use will be mostly for charitable purposes
- community amateur sports clubs buildings – only if the next use will be mostly as a sports club
If your vacant property is not one of the exceptions above, we can potentially reduce your empty rates burden by 70% – 75%